Friday, September 18, 2009

Epic Fail.....

First of all, many apologies for not posting in so long...wait why am I apologizing...it's my blog I can post whenever I want to dang it! Anyways, I was trying to think of an appropriate title to accurately describe my day yesterday and the words "epic fail" came to mind. Ever had one of those days where absolutely nothing seems to work right and you begin to wonder if you have completely lost any and all ability to do ANYTHING???? Well that was yesterday. It all started two weeks ago when I got a homework assignment from my professor. Now this professor likes to give "homework" assignments that in any other class would be considered semester projects. This one was no exception and without going into all the boring detail about it, it basically involved writing a program to calculate how big a raindrop can grow by collecting other raindrops on its way through a 3 kilometer thick cloud (yes that is the short version of the problem...). Well I have never taking a computer programming class so I have oh...um....ZERO knowledge of how to code this problem. I would like to point out also that this is a METEOROLOGY class and NOT A PROGRAMMING class so WHY IS MY GRADE DEPENDENT ON MY ABILITY TO WRITE A PROGRAM!!!!??? Perhaps I am just a little bitter. Well I actually got a program written that semi-worked. It made the drop grow over time...unfortunately by t=50 seconds, the drop was bigger than the earth. Yes that's right, I created the biggest raindrop in the universe. After checking all my equations etc...I still could not figure out why the program was blowing up the drop size so i thought to myself, "I should go ask my professor about it". A logical thought right? Well this was on Wednesday and so I go all the way to NC State and knock on my professor's door only to find out that "she's not in on Wednesday". Perfect. After trying to get the program to work for another 3 HOURS, I email the file to my professor and ask her why she thought it wasn't working. 3 HOURS later, I recieve a reply telling me to do a bunch of stuff THAT I HAD ALREADY TOLD HER THAT I HAD DONE!!! By this time, I had had enough for the day and headed home...planning on getting up early on Thursday and coming in to work on it before class. So I get up early Thursday and go all the way to NC State again...only to find out that my professor hadn't come in yet. Again, perfect. I tried working on the project myself once again with no results until about 12:30 p.m. when I decided to go check and see if my professor was in again. This time I actually made contact! By making contact I mean that as soon as she saw me she said and I quote, "I have another meeting right now" and shut the door in my face. Jerk. (Other words which I won't say in this blog). Ok so I had worked hard on this stupid assignment for a week and failed, tried to get help, failed, and now it was time to turn it in. So I printed out my program and the graphs of the drop that was bigger than the earth, title it "This really sucks" and handed it in. Actually I titled it while I was working on it in a moment of frustration and then forgot to change the title before I handed it in. I believe that it accurately sums up my assesment of the problem however in hindsight I probably would have wanted to change it before handing in the load of crap that was my homework. Guess what grade this guy will receive on that homework? You guessed it...and F--.

So to sum it all up, this project has been the main reason why I have not posted in the last week. Now that it is over I have some sense of relief but I still want to finish that program and have it work right just for the principle of the matter.

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

1. Upward practice tonight...I like my team a lot. They may not have the most talent but they listen and work hard which makes coaching enjoyable! They will be pushed hard tonight haha!

2. NC State vs. Gardner Webb (football)--One thing you can always count on, State will schedule the worst football teams to play early in the season. The second thing you can usually count on is that they will find a way to lose to at least one of those teams. However, after last weeks BEATDOWN of Murray St. (65-7) perhaps there's hope for this season after all. I know it was just Murray St. but 65-7??? We NEVER do that, not even against bad teams.

4. Having healthy wrists--after barely being able to move them on Tuesday and Wednesday, I could finally shoot a basketball again yesterday. Lifting weights still kills but at least they're getting better. Here's a tip, when you fall from a great distance its best just to go ahead and take it. Don't try to catch yourself with your hands. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Things I'm Not Looking Forward To:

1. Watching Jake Delhomme play football. Jake Delhomme=suck. Why do the Panther's have to have the WORST quarterback in the NFL? In the last two games, Jake has amassed the amazing totals of 9 interceptions and 3 lost fumbles. Pretty sure I could go out and throw 9 picks in two games.

2. Ending this post...this has been the longest post in the world and it's time for it to stop. 'Nuff said.

Shout-Outs:

Polar Bear at the NC Zoo--Thanks for staying out in the heat to play in the water for us last Saturday. I would have been a little upset if you hadn't and that's an understatement.

Drew Claybrook--You may not read this blog but if you do, thanks for spending hours helping me with my crap assignment this week. You were a lifesaver.

'Till next time...

-D-Lev

No comments:

Post a Comment